Errol Spence Jr. Forced to Withdraw from Pacquaio Fight Due to Torn Retina

bu

Errol Spence Jr. has withdrawn from his welterweight title fight on Aug. 21 with Manny Pacquaio. Spenece Jr. holds two welterweight titles but has a retinal tear in Spence’s left eye.

The injury was discovered during a pre-fight medical exam, PBC announced on Tuesday. The exam took place on Monday and was conducted by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. ESPN reports Spence’s surgery will occur on Wednesday in Dallas.

“I’m very disappointed that I won’t be able to fight Manny Pacquiao on Aug. 21,” said Spence. “I was excited about the fight and the event. Unfortunately, the doctors found a tear in my left eye and said I needed to get surgery on it ASAP and that there was no way I could fight with my eye in that condition.”

“The proper way — and the only way — to win a world title is inside the ring,” said Pacquiao. “… I ask everyone to join me in praying for a full and complete recovery for Errol Spence Jr. Thank God his physical examination discovered his eye condition before he suffered any further damage.”

“It’s an honor to fight the great multiple-division world champion, Manny Pacquiao, as I am more than ready to take on this challenge,” said Ugas (26-4, 12 KOs). “I have a tremendous amount of respect for Pacquiao, but I am coming to win this fight.

“Everyone knows my story about how I came to America to follow my dreams of becoming a world champion, and now it’s time to stamp my legacy with a victory, as one of the best Cuban fighters to ever put on a pair of gloves,” he added. “I love my country, and I want to dedicate this fight to all the men and women who are fighting for freedom.”

Spence plans to face the winner between Pacquaio and his new opponent, Yordenis Ugas. Ugas is ESPN’s No. 6 boxer at 147 pounds and was set to face Fabian Maidana, who suffered his own injury.

The post Errol Spence Jr. Forced to Withdraw from Pacquaio Fight Due to Torn Retina appeared first on The Source.

https://ift.tt/3AwKscH
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Pages